This Solar System Close Reading Packet has everything you need for a complete Close Reading unit in your classroom. Differentiated Reading Passages are at the heart of this one-stop resource for learning all about the Solar System!
Please see the PREVIEW above for an idea of everything included in this loaded resource!
*** Click HERE to see the complete CLOSE READING TOOLKIT, which includes a video, posters, annotation guide, differentiated passage, Close Reading printables, and more! ***
If you have never used Close Reading or even if you are already a pro, this 114-page packet truly is for you! It has everything you need for a complete, successful informational text reading unit.
Each of the 5 passages included in this resource is provided in two differentiated Lexile levels. One is in the fifth-sixth grade reading range, and the other is in the third-fourth grade reading level range. The Lexile level is given for each passage, along with a guide that provides the corresponding grade level for Lexile levels. I've taken all the guesswork out of differentiating and leveling of passages for you!
This comprehensive packet includes:
• 10 Solar System Informational Passages (each passage has 2 differentiated versions)
• 5 Close Reading Activities for each passage
• End of Unit Culminating Writing Activities
• Guide Sheet
• Annotation Guide
• Answer Keys
• 12 Bonus Solar System Coloring Pages
*Please note: Although Pluto is not a planet, it is presented in this packet as one of the five dwarf planets.
This packet includes these informational, high-interest, close reading passages:
• The Sun: Center of the Solar System (Lexile levels 840 & 980)
• Mercury: The Sun's Neighbor (Lexile levels 850 & 1,010)
• Venus: Deadly Planet (Lexile levels 790 & 960)
• Earth: The Living Planet (Lexile levels 760 & 950)
• Mars: The Red Planet (Lexile levels 770 & 970)
• Jupiter: The Gas Giant (Lexile levels 790 & 960)
• Saturn: The Ringed Planet (Lexile levels 780 & 980)
• Uranus: The Ice Giant (Lexile levels 800 & 960)
• Neptune: The Blue Planet (Lexile levels 750 & 950)
• Pluto: Dwarf Planet (Lexile levels 790 & 1,010)
This packet is both rigorous and Common-Core aligned.
Questions have been carefully crafted to move readers from basic, recall questions to higher-level questions where students must cite evidence from the text to support their answers. There are 5 tasks/activities for each passage, moving from easier tasks to more challenging activities. Each passage and its corresponding activities offer a full-week's worth of close reading.
Looking for other helpful Reading and ELA resources? Take a look here:
Reading Task Cards
Writing Task Cards
Reading Comprehension Passages and Monthly-Themed Packets
Don't forget that leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases. I love that feedback!
Also, follow me and be notified when new products are uploaded. New products are always 50% off for the first 24 hours they are posted. It pays to follow me!
As always, please contact me with any questions!
Thank you so much,