This product offers a way for students to apply close reading strategies while also meeting the demands of Common Core State Standards.
Students will learn to be reading detectives and to approach a close read by using the Get S.M.A.R.T. strategy (©Smiling in Sixth). The acronym reminds students to summarize, find the meaning of unknown words, identify the author’s purpose and/or point of view, determine central idea and/or theme, and cite evidence to support an analysis of what the text is about.
The resources do not teach students to how to summarize, etc., but give ideas for applying the literary devices to a close reading. This provides a way for students to remember what they should do during a close read and how to apply the standards to a close read. The resources also assume teachers are familiar with close reading. There are no guides to close reading included, just a guide to using these materials in your classroom.
The materials have a cute detective theme to help students think about looking for evidence when they are reading.
Here’s what you get with this resource:
• 12 slide PowerPoint that defines close reading, explains the Get S.M.A.R.T (©Smiling in Sixth) strategy to use when close reading, and explains how to apply the strategy. (PDF Format)
• Being a Close Reading Detective Diagram Handout (Based on PowerPoint)
• Steps to Close Reading Handout (Based on PowerPoint)
• 2 versions of a Get S.M.A.R.T. poster
• Get S.M.A.R.T. Sentence Starters
• Bookmarks with Get S.M.A.R.T. strategy
• 2 Get S.M.A.R.T. close reading organizers
• 7 page Teacher’s Guide to Using this Resource
Thank you for checking out my materials! Please check out the preview and read the description before purchase. If you have any questions, please let me know! I’m happy to help!
If you like my work, be sure to follow me for updates on new products, sales, flash freebies, and more!