With this bundle you will be able to teach primary age students how to close read, take notes, and write about text independently. This is everything you need for your American Symbols unit. You do not need to supplement with anything else. This unit is project based. It begins by reading the students a letter from the National Park Service. The park rangers are in need of new teaching materials at each location. Students are engaged as they learn about each American symbol in order to prepare new materials for the parks. They especially love testing their materials through interactive drama. Students practice speaking and listening skills as they pretend to be the park ranger tour guides. The lessons strategically scaffold from teacher modeling, to guided practice, to partner practice, then to independent student practice. Each American symbol section consists of a 3 part close reading lesson, interactive drama, writing activity, and an optional art project. Once all four symbols are taught, students complete a culminating writing in response to text project.
During this unit students will:
- Read letter from National Park Service rangers which says they need students to help!
- Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text for each symbol (text provided)
- Code text with the teacher for each symbol (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions for each symbol (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with each other
- Read differentiated text about the each symbol with partners and independently (4 different levels are provided for each symbol)
- Code text with teacher model, partners, and independently using differentiated printable books (scaffolding lessons plans to instruct students from teacher modeling to independent practice are provided)
- Take notes on each symbol using a note sheet (note sheets provided)
- Use their symbol notes to write a documentary about the Liberty Bell, tour guide script for the Statue of Liberty, an informational card about the Bald Eagle, and how to respect the flag page (documentary script sheet provided)
-Make Liberty Bell Pottery, Bald Eagle Resist Painting, and Statue of Liberty Paper Mache’ (instructions provided)
At the end of each close reads student have the opportunity to synthesize their deeper understanding of each symbol as they participate in interactive dramas and act as tour guides to present their new knowledge about each symbol for National Symbol ‘visitors’ (scripts and printable costumes provided).
- Assess themselves and their writing (assessment/checklist provided).
Included in this packet:
-Anchor charts: Text Coding, Unknown Words, Turn and Talk
-Printable teacher text for each symbol
-Text coding answer key for each symbol
-Differentiated student text for each symbol (4 levels per book)
-Student Note Sheets for each symbol
-Writing Activity for each symbol
-Culminating Writing Activity: Informational Brochure about favorite symbol
-Art activity for Statue of Liberty, Bald Eagle, and Liberty Bell
Don't worry! You can also purchase each symbol individually
The Statue of Liberty
The Liberty Bell
The American Flag
The Bald Eagle
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog