Also included in
- These close reading tool kits are designed to work with any book or passage. They address all of the Common Core RL and RI standards. They include instructions and tips, posters/anchor charts, graphic organizers and printables, Talk Time discussion cards, and writing prompts to use with notebook pap$17.57$21.96Save $4.39
- Everything in this bundle is meant to be used with whatever books your students are reading, which makes it perfect for reading workshop, independent reading, or guided reading. Great for improving reading comprehension and digging into close reading. Many include digital options with Google Slides$79.30$105.30Save $26.00
- Here is a treasure-trove of ready-to-use printables that you can use with any informational text. Dig into nonfiction books with 24 pages for informational text plus guided book reports and project choice boards. Dig in deeper with the Close Reading Toolkit for Informational Text - tons of graphic o$15.94$20.94Save $5.00
Make Close Reading Easy with this TOOLKIT! It's jam-packed with posters, graphic organizers, discussion starters, writing prompts and plenty of close reading strategies and teaching tips.
Check out the preview to see more!
These resources will work with any informational (nonfiction) text or passage and can address all of the Common Core RI standards. Use these materials for your entire lesson or supplement the close reading materials you already have.
Use them in a variety of ways:
- in pairs
- in group discussions
- with interactive notebooks
- Choose the ones that work best for you!
Close Reading Posters and Anchor Charts (7):
- The Close Reading poster guides students through the three readings of a passage, telling them what to look for and what kinds of questions to ask. Three versions are provided.
- The Mark it Up! annotation guide shows students how to annotate a passage as they perform close reading. Three versions are provide.
- The Text Talk poster provides talking prompts to help students talk effectively about the text.
Talk Time Discussion Prompt Cards/Sentence Stems (36):
Discussing the text in small groups is an important part of close reading. Written in the first person, these 36 Talk Time cards will help your students to discuss the text with their classmates. The cards are color coded for first, second, and third reads. There are also cards to use at any point during the close reading process.
- There is a digital version of the Talk Time cards included! Great for presenting!
Graphic Organizers/Printables (16):
Use these 16 different graphic organizers and printables to help your students explore different aspects of the text. Both lined and unlined versions of the graphic organizers are provided. There are activities for each stage of close reading, including graphic organizers for each of the five text structures. Some of these would make good pre-writing activities for an in-depth text-dependent question.
Writing Prompt Labels/Cut Outs (20):
These 20 text-dependent writing prompts are perfect for using with interactive notebooks. They could also be used on notebook paper or as exit slips.
The prompts will help your students to dig deeper into the text at any stage in your close reading. They cover main idea/supporting details, text structures and features, author’s purpose, making connections and more.
Each prompt is repeated 10 times on a page and are formatted to print out on Avery 8163 labels. The prompts can also be printed on regular printing paper, cut out, and glued or taped into interactive notebooks or onto notebook paper. A blank sheet is also included for you to create your own writing prompts.
✍️"My students loved this resource as another tool to help reinforce close reading. I am a visual learner so they helped me in explaining it for everyone to understand! Thanks so much I will use it again." -Amber
✍️"What a valuable resource! With increasing call to fit more in a day, this Close Reading Toolkit takes the pressure off by providing a sound framework to teach the skills more efficiently. Thank you for your hard work which makes my teaching life so much more enjoyable!" -Jade
✍️"I love this resource and can't wait to use it this year. I have been scouring TPT to find the perfect definition of close reading and I love how you have define it. It matches the steps I take my students through." -Darlene
Common Core Standards addressed in this set:
The Close Reading Toolkit is designed to address all of the Common Core Reading Informational Text standards for grades 3-8 (CCSS.ELA.Literacy.RI.1-9). The standards that apply to any given lesson will depend on the text and activities that you select. In general:
First Read activities align with Key Ideas and Details: Standards RI.1 - RI.3
Second Read activities align with Craft and Structure: Standards RI.4 - RI.6
Third Read activities align with Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Standards RI.7 - RI.9
Standard RI.10 will depend on the text you select. Choosing curriculum relevant text will help you to meet this standard.
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional license.
This product was happily brought to you by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack of Minds in Bloom. :)