Challenge students to identify the theme of the iconic painting The Golden Rule by Norman Rockwell through multiple "readings," close observation of details in the painting, and discussion of the cultural and historical context of the artwork.
Pair this informational "text" lesson with fiction readings about diversity, world cultures, or bullying as you practice the close reading process with a non-text text.
The PowerPoint introduction includes versions of the Golden Rule from thirteen different cultures or religions and can support an anti-bullying curriculum.
The discussion portion of this lesson is provided in formats for both whole-class and small-group, so you can choose what works best in your classroom.
Included in this product:
- Slideshow with the Norman Rockwell painting, versions of the Golden Rule from around the world, and a quote about the painting from the artist
- Discussion questions with background/support for the teacher
- Discussion question cards (for use in jigsaw discussion format)
- Twenty task cards organized by Bloom's taxonomy levels
- Bibliography with links to resources, including additional online informational text articles and videos
This lesson can support ELA instruction in theme, mood, or symbolism. Many of the extension/enrichment task cards reinforce critical thinking and writing skills.