This Packet includes close reading activities for the First Grade Exemplar Text (according to CCSS) for Amazing Whales. This packet also includes close reading of "articles" short passages on whales, as well as close reading strategies for media (whale videos).
Close reading is a strategy which requires students to read and revisit short, complex passages, media and other forms of information. Its purpose is to help students uncover layers of meaning that lead to deep comprehension.
1. Reading and rereading the text to gather meaning. Discussing setting, facts, main idea, etc. students will become familiar with the text/passage.
2. Highlighting important vocabulary words and using context clues to figure out the meaning of those words.
3. Guide students towards providing evidence and support while answering deeper comprehensions questions.
*Amazing Whale activities include: mammal sort, setting, vocabulary, geometry connection with whale length, comprehension questions, etc.
* Baby Beluga Lyrics activities include: character map, setting, beginning/middle/end, comprehension questions, etc.
* Multi-media videos: activities include fact hunt and editable video comprehension questions.
*Interactive Notebook Pages
Check out our other Common Core Exemplar Close Reading Units...
Close Reading with Frog and Toad
Close Reading From Seed to Pumpkin
Close Reading with Owl at Home
Close Reading with Nursery Rhymes