A Folk Tale for ELLs, The Mitten, can be used in a variety of ways to complement your existing ELD curriculum. This unit contains ten reproducible pages for classroom use, which focus on ELD vocabulary, language, speaking, reading, listening development, role-playing a story, and retelling key story details. Each reproducible worksheet includes teacher directions at the bottom of the page for ease of presentation.
Also included are vocabulary charts that you can use when you plan your lessons. There are two teacher preparation pages which include: an overview, a story synopsis, story objectives, vocabulary and language objectives, reading objectives, vocabulary charts, which include: key story and key classroom connection vocabulary, key language: (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and suggested language frames.)
The classroom connection for this story is Every Day Language – clothing items. Children will use and learn additional vocabulary and talk about the clothing that they wear.
Beginning and intermediate English Language Learners in Grades K-2 should enjoy the work sheets and activities. Their communication skills will be enhanced as they are guided through the lessons and practice reading strategies, reading a story, sequencing story events, and retelling key story details.
Student Reproducible Pages Include:
1) Directions at the bottom of the page for ease of presentation
2) Estimated time for each lesson/worksheet
3) Activities are included in the directions to make the
presentation fun and meaningful
4) An opening cover illustration page that can be used to preview
5) Two story pages that include the text and illustrations (The
Mitten, part one and The Mitten, part two)
6) Flash Cards which focus on key story and classroom
connection vocabulary (2 pages – 12 flash cards)
7) Vocabulary Assessment Worksheet
8) Story Comprehension Worksheet (cut and past activity)
9) Act out the story worksheet – cut out and make a mitten; use
pictures of the animals to role-play and retell the story
10) Make-A-2-Fold Book about the story – worksheet
11) Classroom Connection Worksheet (focuses on clothing
vocabulary and what children wear: What do you wear?
I wear __.
12) An application page that allows students to draw and/or
write what they have learned about the story, The Mitten
Please adhere to all copyright laws. Use of this product, beyond classroom use for students, is prohibited. Please contact me if you wish to use this product for other purposes, as this is a violation of the intended copyright. Please note that multiple licenses are available at a reduced cost.