This literacy unit is designed for grades 2 or 3. I have found this level appreciates this classic the most! This unit has a suggested 5 day plan but can be used in whatever way best suits you and your class! It is aligned to the common core standards and covers many important literacy skills! Read more detail if interested...
Day 1: Before Reading
- 20 vocabulary cards
- vocabulary practice, It's Raining What?!
- weather forecast practice, Sunny Sue's Forecast
Day 2: Read and discuss book
- discussion questions included
- scrambled words and alphabetical order, All Mixed Up
- subject/predicate and sequencing, Then What Happened?
- compound words, Put It Together
- cause and effect, Why Did They Do That?
- It's Raining _______! news story writing activity
- share out
In addition, there is a page of suggestions if you have time and are interested in ideas for culminating or extension activities.
All answer keys are attached.
I have also copied and included the vocabulary cards and handouts in black and white for your convenience.
Thank you and I hope you and your kids enjoy these lessons!!
Copyright (c) 2012 bbap