to teach and help kids understand Cluster Reduction for S-Blends. This fun and active resource uses the visual support of a Ninja and encourages students to ‘add’ the “s” sound onto other words to form a new word (e.g. ‘s’ + ‘wing’ = swing). There are some training cards where students are encouraged to use a ‘ninja move’ to make and visually represent the ‘s’ sound and then say the rest of the word.
This is great for those students who are visual learners, or learn through movement as the actions (ninja moves) represent the sounds and words.
Once students get used to adding their ‘s’ sound on, there are Ninja cards that contain the full S-Blend word as their ‘training’ has paid off that they don’t need the visual and kinaesthetic prompts. Minimal pairs cards
are also included to take your therapy up a level, as well as pacing boards
to help drill and get quick repetitions in.
• All S-Blends are included: Sk, Sl, Sm, Sn, Sp, St and Sw
• Each S-blend set has 6 cards (4 for training and 2 for mastery) containing a set of 5 core words (e.g. the Sp set has: pill-spill, pin-spin, pie-spy, pot-spot, peach-speech)
• Minimal pairs cards are included for use with further therapy activities - using the same core words
• A set of 5 color-only pacing boards for drilling.
• A Ninja moves poster to display and reinforce the concept of saying sounds and using movement together
• Black line images for easy print-and-go
• Color set laminating, engagement and durability
I’d love to hear feedback about how your little Ninja’s get on in therapy, using their moves and saying their sounds! If you LOVE this concept of adding an ‘s’ to the start of a word to make a new word, then check out my best-selling series:
• Just Add ‘S’: S Blend Cluster Reduction Sequencing Strips
• Teach Phonology: ‘S’ Cluster Reduction
Rebecca Reinking - Adventures in Speech Pathology
☀ Follow Me ☀ Visit my Blog
see me on Pinterest