Crossword which tests students' understanding of key vocabulary in the study of Coasts.
There are 40 words. These include
- General Terms (Erosion, Deposition, Transportation)
- Processes of Erosion (Hydraulic Action, Abrasion, Attrition, Solution, Compression, Corrasion)
- Specific Sea/Coast Keywords (Wave, Bay, Headland, Cliff, Swash, Backwash, Longshore Drift, Load, Fetch, Waves: Constructive & Destructive)
- Features of Erosion (Notch, Cave, Arch, Stack, Stump, Blow Hole, Wave Cut Platform)
- Features of Deposition (Beach, Spit, Bar, Tombolo, Lagoon, Wave Built Terrace)
- Efforts to control Erosion and the power of the sea (Breakwaters, Groynes, Gabions, Sea Walls)
This could be used as an assignment at the end of a unit on coastal geomorphology. Alternatively, it could be used as a tool for revision. Sometimes an activity like this is useful as a filler, when you have nothing else prepared!
I've added as much detail as possible to the clues, so that students are learning while working on this task. In this way, it's an Active Learning Resource. Despite this, students regard this as a fun activity!
There is a word bank to assist students. You could redact this to make it more difficult.
The solution is also provided. Download the preview file to see the solution and how the words appear in the grid.