Are you looking for a fun Informational Text unit that will tap into the obsession and intrigue many students have with Starbucks and the coffee universe? A perfect balance of reading, writing, and cross-curricular tasks all in one? This is just what your are looking for.
This unit contains:
• 4 articles: “The Creation and Evolution of America’s Obsession: Starbucks," “World Demand for Coffee," “A Coffee Apocalypse?," and HEALTH LINK: “Benefits of Coffee on the Human Body” (These are paired passages + Resources for writing tasks)
• Common Core based comprehension questions that correspond to passages
• Comparative Essay Task (Expository Writing)
• "How-To" Paragraph writing activity (great bell ringer!) (Expository Writing)
• Coffee Math activity (cross curricular connection; great bell ringer)
• Starbucks Brochure Building Activity
• Argumentative Essay Task
PLUS+ A whole list of supplemental activities and resources!
This unit is interesting, educational, engaging, and will truly connect with your students. Reading covers, science and economics of coffee industry, the making of a company named Starbucks, and more. This unit is designed to be used in the middle school ELA classroom and has many cross-curricular connections that will help you meet the needs of your middle school students in a rigorous yet fun way!