This is a unit over The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War that was planned with the Georgia Performance Standards in mind while creating it. The standards read:
SS5H7 The student will discuss the origins and consequences of the Cold War.
a. Explain the origin and meaning of the term Iron Curtain.
b. Explain how the United States sought to stop the spread of communism through the Berlin airlift, the Korean War, and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
c. Identify Joseph McCarthy and Nikita Khrushchev.
SS5H8 The student will describe the importance of key people, events, and developments between 1950-1975.
a. Discuss the importance of the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War.
The listing includes the following instructional items:
- A PowerPoint including information on the The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
- Notes pages that allow students to follow along and fill in the blanks of important sections of their notes. Vocabulary matching is included on the notes pages.
- KWL chart
- Main Idea activity where students list three facts from The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War
- One vocabulary matching activity that allows students to cut out cards and match terms to their definitions.
- A class "I have, who has" game that allows students to review important concepts of The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War
- A study guide for review
- The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War assessment
- The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War modified assessment (for lower and special needs learners)
NOTE: If you would like to edit the presentations, products, or tests in any way – PLEASE feel free. I am satisfied with my product AS IS, but realize others may wish to make edits.
Other (copyrighted - sorry!) instructional items were used in addition to the teaching and assessing of my own students, but these items were a huge part of my The Cold War, The Korean War, and the Vietnam War instruction for me.
Those instructional items include:
Carole Marsh 5th Grade Social Studies Workbook, located at:
Georgia Test Prep CRCT for 5th Grade, located at:
I have included the files as both PDFs and word documents, so please feel free to edit them to your needs/teaching.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!