Have your students work in collaborative groups to answer questions and solve problems in the areas of reading and math. Each member of the team has a specific role to encourage responsibility and active participation (see preview for more detail):
1. The READER reads the question.
2. The CLARIFIER helps the group understand what the question is asking.
3. The DIRECTOR helps make a plan for answering the question (i.e., "Let's look back in paragraph 3")
4. Everyone writes down their answer to the question independently.
5. The MONITOR checks to make sure that everyone has a correct answer.
It is everyone's job in the group to "make sure that everyone works together respectfully as a team and actively participates."
This resource includes posters and job description cards for BOTH reading and math. The posters are available in color and black & white. The posters display each role and the order in which students take turns doing their jobs. The job description cards (in color and B&W) are to be cut out and passed out to individual students to refer to.
This activity meets several Speaking and Listening Common Core standards, as it encourages students to "participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners." The individual roles encourage each member of the team to contribute ideas.
If you would like to use the posters and cards for only reading or only math, they are also available for individual purchase:
Collaboration Groups for Reading Comprehension
Collaboration Groups for Math