Also included in
- Ready your students for employment and college admissions with this 72-page resource that guides students through the process of searching for, preparing for, and applying for jobs, along with writing and revising effective college admissions essays. This resource covers how to fill out an applicati$15.00$17.50Save $2.50
Students will craft an engaging and sophisticated college essay, adapting their style and content for their intended audience and purpose.
College Admissions Writing Mini-Unit: This resource will guide students through the college essay writing process from start to finish. From brainstorming activities to researching university values to revision stations, this unit provides a comprehensive approach to the writing process.
Students will know…
- The characteristics of reflective essays and the elements that make a college essay effective.
- Their intended audience’s values.
- Brainstorming strategies for when they feel stuck.
- Organizational approaches for college essays.
- Appropriate diction and syntax for a college essay.
- Types of sentences and strategies for varying syntax.
- How to apply the recursive writing process to their work.
- Methods for masterfully opening and closing their essays.
Students will understand:
- Strong pieces of writing are intentionally crafted with specific audiences and purposes in mind.
- Strong writers are not developed in isolation: mentor texts from skilled writers can help provide insight about how to improve.
- Reflection and revision are essential components of mastery and growth.
- Voice in narrative writing empowers writers to leave their own distinct fingerprint on their writing and better engage readers.
Students will be able to...
- Apply components of the recursive writing process to create a focused and organized piece.
- Craft a college essay with the values and beliefs of that college in mind.
- Demonstrate the purpose of writing as reflective.
- Adapt evidence, voice, and tone to audience, purpose, and situation.
- Use varied syntax to enhance the overall effect of the essay.