College Admissions Writing Mini-Unit: This resource will guide students through the college essay writing process from start to finish. From brainstorming activities to researching university values to revision stations, this unit provides a comprehensive approach to the writing process.
Students will know…
- The characteristics of reflective essays and the elements that make a college essay effective.
- Their intended audience’s values.
- Brainstorming strategies for when they feel stuck.
- Organizational approaches for college essays.
- Appropriate diction and syntax for a college essay.
- Types of sentences and strategies for varying syntax.
- How to apply the recursive writing process to their work.
- Methods for masterfully opening and closing their essays.
Students will understand:
- Strong pieces of writing are intentionally crafted with specific audiences and purposes in mind.
- Strong writers are not developed in isolation: mentor texts from skilled writers can help provide insight about how to improve.
- Reflection and revision are essential components of mastery and growth.
- Voice in narrative writing empowers writers to leave their own distinct fingerprint on their writing and better engage readers.
Students will be able to...
- Apply components of the recursive writing process to create a focused and organized piece.
- Craft a college essay with the values and beliefs of that college in mind.
- Demonstrate the purpose of writing as reflective.
- Adapt evidence, voice, and tone to audience, purpose, and situation.
- Use varied syntax to enhance the overall effect of the essay.