You may wish to use this assignment as an extra credit assignment for your students in either the first or second semester of the year. The assignment includes an essay prompt in which students evaluate their readiness for college or career. However, you may wish to use a college application essay prompt from a local university as a culminating activity. However this is used in your class, students will certainly benefit from having their basic questions about college and career answered, thus lowering some of their anxiety about life after high school.
This lesson plan includes:
1. Systems of Higher Education Grid –students research and provide data for the various types of post-secondary systems.
2. Academic Options Grid – students analyze the degrees and majors offered at different colleges.
3. List of School Services and Programs – students choose one school from each system and research the programs and services offered on that campus.
4. School of Choice Worksheet – students choose one school and analyze the school’s general policies and graduation requirements.
5. Class Matrix Grid – using their school of choice, students list the classes required for their major of choice.
6. Job Outlook Worksheet – using a government website, students have an opportunity to research their chosen career.
7. Essay – “How Ready are You for College or Career?”
Common Core Standards Covered in this Lesson:
Duration of lesson: 1-2 hours Grade Level: High School (used with 12th grade)