Get all 13 volumes of Primary Sources and Songs to enhance your Colonial America Unit at a money-saving price. Bundle Pack includes lesson plans, activities, printables and recordings of Primary Source narratives and 31 Primary Source songs. Units covered:
1. Native American Peoples
2. Exploration and
3. Coming to the New World
5. Farming the Land
6. Earning a Living from the Sea
7. Indentured Servitude
8. A People of Many Nations
10. Home Life and Children
11. The Seeds of Democracy
12. Freedom of Speech
13. The French and Indian War
Each unit contains:
1. An introduction to the historical event
2. Student lesson guide to map known and need-to-know information
3. An excerpted primary source comment on the event
4. An orchestrated song from the period with printed lyric
5. “In Your Own Words” comprehension check
6. Vocabulary worksheet—to increase historical vocabulary
7. Answer key—for vocabulary study
8. Mapping assignment—to place event in geographic context
9. Timeline Information—to place event in historical context
10. Non-fiction/fiction reading suggestions tied to the lesson
11. Suggestions for discussion, presentation, reports, projects, etc.
Listed Common Core Standards that the unit addresses Primary Sources and Songs meets Common Core Standards in U.S. History through engaging first person accounts of major historical events coupled with an authentically orchestrated song of the period.
Using short excerpts from letters, journal entries, newspaper accounts or other primary sources, Primary Sources and Songs brings each topic to life for the study of American History in the fourth through eighth grades. These short excerpts are especially beneficial to ESL students, reluctant readers, special ed students and students just learning to use primary source materials. By choosing from the menu of activities, teachers can cover the lesson in as little as an afternoon or delve in and create an extended unit.
Songs can easily be dramatized and used for presentations and performances. A recording with orchestration only is included for performances.
Songs included are:
Mountain Hymn, None But a Sailor Shall Marry with Me, I’m Going to A-merry-ca, My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, When I First Came to This Land, The Greenland Whale, The Distressed Damsel, Frere Jacques, Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen, The Green Grass Grows All Around, Election Medley, Hearts of Oak Are We Still, The British Grenadiers, In Good Old Colony Times.
Please take a tour of our store, Music to the Core, for additional engaging and powerful learning materials and don't forget to tell your friends and co-workers.