This complete unit is a flexible theme that can be used with various reading levels. It is focused on the Colonial time period but the ideas can be applied to other nonfiction reading themes.
This unit contains
detailed lesson ideas
- A structure for organizing the whole unit
- A progression of lessons and organizers for teaching how to -participate in a literature group successfully (great for the beginning of the school year whole class!)
- Discourse signs in color and black and white
- Suggested book list, a menu for student work choice
- Nonfiction book review template, and a self-evaluation form for students.
- A rubric for grading the book reviews
- A detailed rubric for grading the final project
This unit literally has everything you need to set up and begin teaching a 6-week literature group that focuses on the Colonial America Social Studies theme. I taught this unit with my higher reading groups during our unit on the 13 Colonies while I was also running a 6-week intervention cycle with my lower readers.
Thank you for your purchase. I really believe that this unit will help your students grow as readers and cooperative learners. Please feel free to ask any questions.