How do historians get "the story?" Have students crunch the data by looking through real English emigration totals and study it to find the story behind the numbers.
This lesson includes:
1. Warm up creating a visual definition for emigration vs. immigration.
2. The data is presented in varying forms for different ability levels. Each set comes with guiding questions and task to help students find the meaning of each set of numbers. Also included is a tool for annotating each chart.
3. Introduce student to ways that data visualizations have been used historically. (link to a video, along with slides and a "key" for teachers to use to help students get started.)
4. Directions for student to create their own data visualization that explains the story behind the totals.
5. And wrap it up with a debrief that can be written or used as discussion.
If you enjoy my lesson please follow my store and receive updates and news of when I post products.
And if you would be so kind, please leave me a comment I love hearing how you use the lesson. Follow me for additional goodies.
My Facebook page