This interesting and engaging lesson enables students to know what colons and semi-colons are and when they should be used, to understand the effect of colons and semi-colons in the writing of others, and to use subtle and appropriate colons and semi-colons in their own writing.
Over the course of their learning journey, students:
- Define and exemplify what colons and semi-colons are;
- Identify where colons and semi-colons should be placed in writing;
- Place colons and semi-colons into unpunctuated sentences correctly;
- Analyse the effect of colons and semi-colons upon sentences and wider texts;
- Use colons and semi-colons accurately and with subtlety in their own writing;
- Peer and self assess each other's writing attempts.
The resources include:
-Visually engaging whole-lesson PowerPoint;
-Placing Colons and Semi-colons' worksheet (and teacher answer sheet);
-A model example of a colon and semi-colon filled piece of writing for analysis;
-Helpful and comprehensive step-by-step lesson plan.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and are cited on the final page of the slide.