This Common Core aligned lesson is designed to help students build knowledge about using semicolons and colons. It can be taught by you or a substitute in one to two class periods. I have heard back from teachers who do this with great success. However, I intended these activities to be used first thing in class every day as a bell-ringer activity. For this reason, the lessons are straight-forward and simple so that students can absorb the basic concepts easily while you are taking roll and doing your other class duties. This daily lesson allows students to employ the use of these punctuation marks in several ways over a longer time period. In this way, the knowledge should stay with them.
The lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• A handout and worksheet on “Using Semicolons” with KEY
• A handout and worksheet on “Using Colons” with KEY
• A worksheet on “Definitions and Uses of Semicolons and Colons” with KEY
• A worksheet on “Writing Sentences Using Semicolons and Colons” with KEY
• A “Quiz over Using Semicolons and Colons” with KEY
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.9-10.2a Use a semicolon (and perhaps a conjunctive adverb) to link two or more closely related independent clauses.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.9-10.2b Use a colon to introduce a list or quotation.
Have fun with this quick way to cover grammar standards! Check out my store for other weekly bell ringer lessons.
This lesson is also in a Bundle. Find it in my store under Trimester Two.