Encourage your students to activate their higher-order thinking skills before, during, and after reading using this color-coding note-taking system. Students will learn how to record and classify thoughtful notes using colored sticky notes.
This set includes everything you and your students will need to set up this reading response approach with any text and any genre. A six-page teacher guide provides tools and helpful suggestions on how to implement this system into your classroom reading routine.
**UPDATED! Now includes UK and AUS spellings!**
Check out the preview to see exactly what you’ll get!
Here’s what’s included:
1. Six-page Teacher Guide, which includes: (a) suggested professional readings for implementing reading comprehension lessons and reading response activities, (b) reading focus wall sample and a list of additional resources, (c) how-to guide on using sticky notes, (d) how-to guide on using reading notebook headers, (e) how-to guide on using response sheets, (f) suggested uses for student bookmarks.
2. Color Code Your Thinking Posters, including: make connections, ask questions, make inferences, make predictions, monitor comprehension, and make evaluations. Each poster includes a student friendly description about the comprehension skill and how to craft thoughtful notes while reading. An example of a thoughtful sticky note response is also included.
3. Color Code Your Thinking Student Bookmarks, which can also serve as miniature reference tools.
4. Reading Response Sheets – These forms will allow students to transfer sticky notes to a single response sheet that can be turned in for teacher evaluation and feedback. Seven different forms are included to better serve the need of your instruction. Recording sheets include: forming thoughts, making connections, asking questions, forming inferences, forming predictions, monitoring comprehension, and forming evaluations.
5. Reading Notebook Page Headers – These page headers will allow your students to organize the sticky notes they have transferred to their reading notebooks. Page headers include: Track your thinking, text-to-self connections, text-to-text connections, text-to-world connections.
Check out more reading focus wall resources!
Reading Strategies and Skills Poster Set
Thoughtful Reading Strategies: R.E.A.D. Strategy Posters