Encourage your students to activate their higher-order thinking skills before, during, and after reading using this color-coding note-taking system. Students will learn how to record and classify thoughtful notes using colored sticky notes or other forms of color-coding materials (like colored pencils, pens, or highlighters).
This set includes everything you and your students will need to set up this reading response approach with any text and any genre. A teacher guide provides tools and helpful suggestions on how to implement this system into your classroom reading routine.
Click HERE to check out my blog post about how I used this system in my classroom!
**UPDATED! Now includes UK and AUS spellings!**
Check out the preview to see exactly what you’ll get!
Here’s what’s included:
- Color Code Your Thinking Posters - includes make connections, ask questions, make inferences, make predictions, monitor comprehension, and make evaluations. Each poster includes a student friendly description about the comprehension skill and how to craft thoughtful notes while reading. An example of a thoughtful sticky note response is also included.
- Student Bookmarks - can also serve as miniature reference tools.
- Reading Response Sheets – allow students to transfer sticky notes to a single response sheet that can be turned in for teacher evaluation and feedback. Recording sheets include: forming thoughts, making connections, asking questions, forming inferences, forming predictions, monitoring comprehension, and forming evaluations.
- Notebook Page Headers – allow your students to organize their sticky notes they have transferred to their reading notebooks. Page headers include: track your thinking, text-to-self connections, text-to-text connections, text-to-world connections, track your questions, track your inferences, track your predictions, monitor comprehension, and track your evaluations
- Teacher guide with suggestions and tips
Check out more reading focus wall resources!
Reading Strategies and Skills Poster Set
Thoughtful Reading Strategies: R.E.A.D. Strategy Posters