Color Code Your Thinking - Active Reading Practice
Encourage your students to activate their higher-order thinking skills before, during, and after reading using this color-coding annotating system. Students will learn how to record and classify thoughtful notes using colored sticky notes or other forms of color-coding materials (like colored pencils, pens, or highlighters). Ink saving B&W options are included. DIGITAL COMPONENTS NOW INCLUDED!
This set includes everything you and your students will need to set up this reading response approach with any text and any genre. A teacher guide provides tools and helpful suggestions on how to implement this system into your classroom reading routine.
Click HERE to check out my blog post about how I used this system in my classroom!
Check out the preview to see exactly what you’ll get!
Here’s what’s included:
- Color Code Your Thinking Posters - includes make connections, ask questions, make inferences, make predictions, monitor comprehension, and make evaluations. Each poster includes a student friendly description about the comprehension skill and how to craft thoughtful notes while reading. An example of a thoughtful sticky note response is also included. Google Slides option now included.
- Student Bookmarks - can also serve as miniature reference tools. Google Slide option now included.
- Reading Response Sheets – allow students to transfer sticky notes to a single response sheet that can be turned in for teacher evaluation and feedback. Recording sheets include: forming thoughts, making connections, asking questions, forming inferences, forming predictions, monitoring comprehension, and forming evaluations. Google Slide and Seesaw activities now included.
- Notebook Page Headers – allow your students to organize their sticky notes they have transferred to their reading notebooks. Page headers include: track your thinking, text-to-self connections, text-to-text connections, text-to-world connections, track your questions, track your inferences, track your predictions, monitor comprehension, and track your evaluations. Google and Seesaw activities now included.
- Teacher guide with suggestions and tips
- UPDATED: Google Slides include color coding posters, bookmark, and both options for recording pages with moveable sticky notes. Preloaded Seesaw activities, which are ready to assign instantly, include both options for recording sheets, with audio directions and preexisting text boxes.
Check out more reading focus wall resources!