Colourful semantics is a therapy approach created by Alison Bryan. It helps children understand how the meanings of words are linked in sentences. Each semantic category/word type is colour coded.
Read more about Colourful Semantics on my blog.
Colourful Semantics can be used for:
- Encouraging wider vocabulary
- Making sentences longer,
- Helping children answer questions
- Developing use of nouns, verbs, prepositions, and adjectives
- Improving story telling skills
- Can be transferred to written sentences and written language comprehension
- Can be carried out individually or in small groups
- Can be carried out by teachers and teaching assistants with the support of a speech and language therapist
Included in this colourful semantics starter pack are detailed instructions and materials for 'who' 'what doing' 'what' and 'where' questions and also 4 interactive books! More specifically...
‘who?’ – subject – can be used for teaching person and animal vocabulary as well as pronouns
* 16 different 'who' symbols and 12 'who' scenes
* 'who'/people/animals: boy/he, girl/she, kids/they, frog, bear, dog, crocodile, pig, penguin, cat
* 'who' interactive book
‘what doing?’ – verb – can be used for teaching verb vocabulary as well as past tense and irregular past tense
* 17 different 'what doing'/verb symbols and 38 'what doing' scenes
* 'what doing'/verbs: sitting, standing, jumping, sliding, skipping, running, , skating, sleeping, & swinging
* 'what doing' interactive book
what? – object – can be used for teaching object vocabulary
* 23 different 'what'/object symbols and 35 'what' scenes
* 'what doing'/verbs: Painting, driving, hugging, kicking, playing, eating, reading, riding,
* 'what'/objects: sun, flower, egg, school, car, teddy, doll, pillow, ball, game, sandwich, spaghetti, ice cream, cookies, popcorn, carrot, fly, banana, book, bike, scooter, horse
* 'what' interactive book
where? – place – can be used for teaching place vocabulary including prepositions
* 18 different 'where'/place symbols and 24 'where' scenes
* 'what doing'/verbs: playing, sitting, standing
* 'where'/places: Under umbrella, in the leaves, in the sand, in the snow, on the monkey bars, under a tree, on the grass, on the rug, on the leaves, in the mud, on a see-saw, on a sled, on a lily pad, on a chair, at school, in the sea, at the beach, in the barn, at the circus
* 'where' interactive book
Colourful semantics can also be used to help children use adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions and negatives! I hope to add extensions to this starter pack to include these structures. Follow meto receive an update when I do!
PLEASE don't forget to rate and comment if you by this product :)