Share Columbus Day with your classes in a fun and academic way.
This download includes materials that will work in Spanish classrooms, World and American History classrooms, as well as Spanish Immersion and Social Studies classrooms where there are Spanish speakers and / or students learning Spanish.
The materials include:
1. An English-language reading selection that summarizes Columbus Day and gives an explanation of variations of the day in Spanish-speaking countries designed to honor the indigenous people of the Americas and Spain.
2. Space for student reflection (K-W-L)
3. A word search with key terms from the reading
4. An activity where students write the terms from the reading as they find them and summarize the meaning of the terms.
5. A Spanish-language reading selection for differentiation
6. An answer key and teacher's guide for facilitating the lesson.
7. A list of English and Spanish language online resources for the teacher.
8. An original photograph of Columbus and an indigenous person that can be printed and displayed in the classroom.