This is a one day lesson using ActivInspire software for Promethean Boards that is totally structured using the Gradual Release Model. The lesson is designed with COMPASS and TAP teacher evaluation rubrics, and focuses on PARCC constructive response short answer questions for non-fiction.
This 16 slide full lesson includes the following:
- Slides have notes for you to know exactly what to do on each (basically this is your lesson plan!)
- Covers CCSS RI 3.1, W3.2, SL 3.1, Social Studies GLE 2.1
- Listed CCSS and student friendly objectives 3 times during the lesson.
- Contains a slide for your expectations
- Connects the learning- has a place for you to write the connections to yesterday, today, and tomorrow's lessons
- Has a "Hook" to grab students' attention: a Bubble Map about Columbus Day that used internet research
- Close Reading & Show Me the Evidence Anchor Charts
- Gradual Release Model - I DO, WE DO, YOU DO exit ticket
- The I DO piece shows 2 possible answers. Students discuss each & score them with the writing rubric.
- The writing rubric was created weeks before this lesson was taught & was made BY THE STUDENTS! You can edit it to fit your needs.
- Cooperative Learning - Partner activity with self assessment, opportunity student to student feedback, Accountable Talk, writing rubric
- Fast finisher time - students create their own questions
- Built in timers to assist with your pacing
- Closure debriefing & self-assessment reflection time
- www.brainpopjr.com video link + Kagan's 4 Corner Game
- 3 Enrichment United Streaming videos embedded into the last slide of the flipchart
This was actually a lesson that I taught for my COMPASS evaluation in 2015 for grade 3 & I did extremely well on it! I did modify the text to accommodate individual reading levels. You may need to do the same.