Columbus Day: Reading Passage & Vocabulary Task Boom Cards
- Internet Activities
This Boom Learning℠ resource includes 2 activities to help students learn about Columbus Day, a Federal holiday in the U.S. The first activity is a reading passage about Christopher Columbus. The second activity is to match definitions with words related to Columbus Day. Detailed instructions to students and a word bank are provided on the first card in the deck. The second card is the menu that students use to select the activities they will do.
✓ Please note:
* To use Boom Cards™, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards. You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with "Fast Pins," (a form of play that provides instant feedback for self-grading Boom Cards). For assignment options that report student progress back to you, you will need to purchase a subscription. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
* When you purchase and download this resource, you’ll receive a PDF file with instructions on how to access the Boom Cards. The actual cards are not included in the PDF file.
* This resource uses the same words as the Columbus Day Word Search & Crossword Puzzles, Reading Passage: Distance Learning product.
In Activity 1, students read a biography of Christopher Columbus and answer comprehension questions. There are 3 cards for the reading passage about the life and legacy of the explorer. Students who need extra support can click on the audio icon to hear the text read out loud. Alternating the reading passage cards are 3 cards with 3 comprehension questions on each card about the text on the preceding card. Students are able to go back and look at the reading passage cards if they need help. The answers self-correct and students cannot move on to the next card until all 3 answers on a card are correct. The text is written in easy to understand language so English Language Learners at intermediate and higher levels of language proficiency can comprehend it.
In Activity 2, there are 20 digital task cards that help students learn or review vocabulary words about Columbus Day. On each card, there is a definition and then students select the word that matches the definition by clicking on the correct word from a list or typing the correct word in a box. Students read the definition and they can also click on the audio symbol to hear the definition read aloud. These cards also self-correct and students cannot move on to the next card until they have correctly matched the word to the definition.
The Activity 2 digital vocabulary task cards have 4 types of multiple choice and fill in the blank answers, with 5 cards in each set:
a) Multiple choice with 4 possible answers
b) Multiple choice with 2 possible answers
c) Fill in the blank with the correct word; these cards provide a picture as a clue
d) Multiple choice with 3 possible answers
* They exist only online: You’ll save paper because you don’t need to print them.
* They are visually appealing: Since they are digital, they are in color and you don’t have to worry about using up printer ink.
* They are low-prep: You’ll save time because students just need an internet connection and a device to use them.
* They are self-grading: You’ll save time assessing students’ work because the cards automatically indicate right and wrong responses.
* They are interactive: Students must engage with the cards in a game-like manner, which helps keep them motivated.
* They are self-checking: Students will immediately find out if their answers are correct or incorrect.
* They can be used as a whole class activity on an interactive whiteboard or individually if students all have a device.
* Use on computers, tablets, and smartphones: Offers greater access if you don’t have enough computers for every student; it also means they can be used at home as long as students have access to a smartphone.
* You can assign Boom Cards with Google Classroom™.
* Depending on the type of your Boom Learning account, you can get reports that track how your students did when they use decks
This resource is a fun and engaging way to help your students learn about Christopher Columbus, the effect the voyages of Columbus had on the indigenous people he encountered, and to learn or review vocabulary words about the Columbus Day holiday in the U.S.
What you get in this product:
★ Cover (1 page)
★ A table of contents for quick reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher section with background information, including the ELA Common Core anchor standard addressed, and the link to the resource on the Boom Learning site (2 pages)
★ Descriptions of the organizational cards in this deck (1 page)
★ Descriptions of the cards for the 2 activities in this deck (2 pages)
★ Copyright, social media & credits information (1 page)
★ Directions to students and list of vocabulary words (1 card)
★ Menu card from which students choose which set to do (1 card)
★ Activity 1 cards: Reading Passage (6 cards)
★ Activity 2 cards: Vocabulary task (20 cards)
★ 1 card at the end of each activity that takes students back to the Menu card (1 card for each activity for a total of 2 cards)
You might also like these products:
★ Columbus Day Reading Passage and Word Search & Crossword Puzzles (Distance Learning)
★ American Holiday Posters for October & November in Acrostic Poem Format
★ Halloween Activities BUNDLE with Task Cards, Word Searches & Crossword Puzzle
★ Early European Colonies in America: Charts for Reading & Writing, Word Searches
★ End of Year American History (Late 1400s-1800) Persuasive Writing Activity
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Boom Learning and Boom Cards are the trademarks of Boom Learning Inc. Used with permission.
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.