Finding materials to teach young students about Columbus Day is always tough; it is also very difficult to devote a large block of time to social studies, especially with the increased expectations for literacy in the Common Core State Standards. This unit will allow you to work on reading and writing informational text while still discussing and celebrating Columbus Day!!
Here are the contents of this Reading/Writing Unit for Columbus Day:
1. Christopher Columbus Early Reader Student Little Book- 12 pages
2. Christopher Columbus Teacher Copy for Shared Reading;- 12 pages (can be printed as a class book or projected from the computer)
3. Basic Comprehension Quiz- Students use the printable book to look up answers
4. Pre-Writing Graphic Organizer
5. Four Writing Pages- both blank line and handwriting line versions
6. Word Labeling Pages- 2 levels of difficulty
7. Columbus Day Vocabulary Word Wall Mini-Bulletin Board Set: Header and 10 word cards that students will use in reading and writing
about Christopher Columbus
8. Columbus Day Word Fun: Word building page and two word searches using Columbus Day vocabulary- there are two levels of the word search: one has all of the words written across and the second has words across and up/down.
I hope you find this useful for your classroom!
Thanks for looking and happy teaching!!