“The readings and questions were perfect.”
No figure has haunted the American psyche as much as Christopher Columbus. He was, to say the least, a very complicated figure, and the focus of centuries of debate over his true legacy. On the one hand, he was courageous, devout, persuasive and single-minded; on the other, he was capricious, cruel and singularly inhumane. One thing is certain: his voyage directly brought about the rapid decline of thousands of years of indigenous society in the new world, and the ascension of European dominance to take its place.
In this two day mini-unit, students will learn about the background to and undertaking of Columbus’ voyages, and the consequence his “discovery” of the new world would have both for the Indians and Europe. Ultimately, it is not a tale for the faint of heart. Students will read an informative and interesting chapter from my textbook, We Take Nothing by Conquest, answer an inquiry based study guide to focus their attention on the main points and supporting details, and finish the unit by playing a fun and competitive game that will reinforce their learning.
* 5 pages of informative and interesting text (the chapter Columbus “Discovers” the New World from my textbook We Take Nothing by Conquest)
* an inquiry based study guide for the chapter to focus students on the main points and supporting details;
* a 26 slide PowerPoint with answers to the study guide for review, and including pictures and maps to stimulate discussion and enhance understanding;
* a 10 page Teacher’s Guide which provides day-by-day and step-by-step instructions how to use all of the materials;
* a Cloze activity which includes instructions, game sheet, word list, answer key, and a PowerPoint presentation with the answers to each paragraph, and including pictures and maps to stimulate discussion and enhance understanding
* a 10 multiple choice question unit quiz to assess student learning.
Answer keys for the study guide and unit quiz are included in the Teacher’s Guide. Materials are provided as word documents and PDFs in one zip file.
For more like this, visit my store: Ye Olde US History Emporium
Visit me on Facebook at @YeOldeHistoryTeacher