Practice combining 2D shapes by building a caterpillar with pattern blocks. Each caterpillar's body consists of 9 hexagons! Students can use triangles, rhombuses, trapezoids and even hexagons to fill in the body.
*3 variations of the game board in color and in black and white
- pictures only
- pictures and words
- words only
*caterpillar activity mat in color and in black and white (7 colors available!)
Additional Items Needed:
- 1 die
- player tokens
- pattern blocks or crayons
How to Play:
Print out the game boards and activity mats. For best results, select the fit option. Laminate for increased durability.
1. Select a game board to play. Each player needs his or her own caterpillar activity mat.
2. Players place their tokens on any space to begin.
3. Players take turns rolling a die and moving around the game board in a clockwise direction.
4. After landing on a space, the player will add the pattern block shown onto his or her caterpillar mat. Or, if using the black and white version, the player may color the shape instead. If there are no available spaces to cover or color, the next player will take his turn.
The player who covers all of the hexagons on his or her caterpillar first wins!