This is an awesome mini book for any interactive math journal. Combining like terms and simplifying expressions with variables is unusually difficult for students. This mini book will simplify the process and ensure that they are variable professionals in no time at all.
This mini book breaks this complicated process down into 5 easy rules called laws for students to remember. There are color pictures and diagrams to help them understand and an opportunity for them to explain their thinking and practice at the end.
The five laws are:
1. Variables must be the same power and letter to be added or subtracted.
2. Lonely numbers stay with lonely numbers.
3. Subtracting a variable does not make it disappear (6x-x does Not equal 6)
4. When variables are multiplied, it changes the exponent.
5. When variables are added or subtracted, it changes the coefficient.