Does pesky punctuation have you in a funk? There are so many rules about punctuation in the English language! Do you need a succinct tool that will help you to capture the most important comma rules your students need to utilize in their writing?
This mini unit features mini lessons on commas in a series, words of direct address, direct quotations, introductory material, plus four more comma rules and two semicolon rules.
A 36 slide editable PowerPoint presentation with...
- 8 important rules for commas, like commas in a series and interrupters
- 2 key guidelines for semicolons
- 4 review activities with student practice sentences...use them as brain breaks with your students on the spot.
- You can import this presentation to Google Slides, if you prefer.
An editable PowerPoint file with...
- printable versions of the student practice sentences from the presentation
- mentor sentences from young adult literature for students to imitate
A PDF comma rules sorting activity...
- so that students can practice identifying and sorting sentences that use the comma rules they are studying
DIGITAL VERSIONS OF ALL OF THE ABOVE...
- So that you can use this resource for distance learning. The digital versions are on Google Slides. The digital resource is a secure version that cannot be edited.
IDEAS FOR USE
You can use this resource in different ways. For example, go through the rules and practice sentences all at once and follow up with mentor sentence application and the sorting activity. Or, you might decide to break the rules apart and use the four suggested mini lessons.
This commas and semicolons lesson always leads to engaged learning and interesting discussion amongst my students. I hope it does the same for yours.
Rules for Commas and Semicolons is ideal for middle and high school students. It's great for introduction, review, and test prep. Happy teaching!
If you like this resource, you may be interested in other similar items available in my store, like these!
And more here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.