The new PSAT/SAT tests a students command of evidence in not only the reading portion of the test, but also in the writing/language and essay as well. This three part lesson will help strengthen your students' command of evidence.
Instructional Strategies: Two Articles; One Topic
Sample Lesson 1: Deconstructing one article
* identify main idea of paragraphs
* identify supporting details of main idea
* explicit explanation of how supporting details support main idea (rhetorical purpose)
Sample Lesson 2: Command of Evidence
* Cut up second article into chunks; students put back together justifying their organization
* cite main idea of each chunk to show explicit order
* cite details that support main idea in each chunk
Synthesis of ideas
Students determine where information from first article can be added to support
main idea(s) in second article and justify why.
* discussion of placement and justification
* Chop up first article and “tape” together with second