It's the end of the school year! Time to look forward to summer, reflect back on the year, and set goals for the school year to come!
What to expect from this Common Core Aligned Writing mini-Unit:
This writing Activity Pack is broken into four sections: Poetry, Persuasive Writing, Reflections, and Goal Setting. It is designed to allow students to reflect on the school year as they look back and have closure, but also to look forward towards the summer months and the next school year.
In the poetry section of this Common Core Aligned Writing Projects for the End of the School Year Activity Pack, students are introduced to 5 different common poetry forms (HAIKU, CINQUAIN, COUPLET, NINETTE, ODE) and presented with the guidelines for the style. An example of each type of poetry is given to help children better understand, and they are given the opportunity to explore the poetry style independently, and draft a poem about summer using each poetry style.
In the Persuasive Essay section, students use a prewriting framework to organize their thinking and develop their argument, once again featuring the season of summer. Students will support their thinking, develop an introduction, three supporting points, and a conclusion tying up their argument.
As a third exercise, students will reflect back on the school year - and use a graphic organizer to plan and ultimately draft an essay entitled ‘This year was a successful school year for me.’
Finally, students will look forward to the next school year, and based on their reflections of the current school year, they will set goals for themselves for the coming year, and create an action plan to accomplish their goals.
End the school year on a positive note with Common-Core Aligned Writing Projects for the End of the Year!
Like this Activity Pack? Be sure to check out my other great projects for Writing Workshop, both for sale and for free!
* 10 Writing Workshop Graphic Organizers for 2nd - 5th Grade
* A SmartBoard Intro to Dialogue: An Interactive Presentation for 2nd - 5th Grade
* An Interactive SmartBoard Introduction to Regular & Proper Nouns for Gr. 2-4
* An Intro to Poetry on the SmartBoard: A Two-Week Unit Featuring 10 Poetry Forms
* More Poetry: 2-Week Unit w/ 10 MORE Poetry Forms: Gr. 2-6 Student Activity Book
* Poetry: A 2-Week Unit Featuring 10 Poetry Forms: Gr. 2-6 Student Activity Book
* Poetry: A 4-Week Unit Featuring 20 Poetry Forms! Gr. 2-6 Student Activity Book
* Strategies to Improve Reports: a SmartBoard Presentation for 4th-6th Grade