This product contains a 31-page unit plan that compares and contrasts plant and animal cells. Activities are aligned to the Common Core, and there is an activity for each level of Bloom's taxonomy. This plan can be used as a stand-alone unit, or in conjunction with my Common Core Cells: Prokaryotes vs Eukaryotes unit plan.
Lesson Length: Five 50-minute instructional class periods, plus homework.
- Detailed teacher instructions and supply lists
- Three colorful information sheets for use throughout the unit
- Chart activity
- Diagram activity
- Graphic organizer
- Onion, Elodea, and Cheek Cell Lab in which students observe and compare plant and animal cells under a microscope.
- Lab binder inserts or worksheets to accompany the lab
- Create a Comic Strip project in which students design their own comic strip that compares and contrasts plant and animal cells
- Editorial essay instructions and worksheets
- Answer keys for Chart activity, Diagram activity, Graphic Organizer, and Lab Binder Inserts
- Teacher evaluation rubrics for Comic Strip and Essay assignment
In addition to the resources included in the packet, you will need an onion, an elodea leaf (available at any pet store), methylene blue dye, cotton swabs, and a microscope and slides to complete all the activities.