This product was created to practice reasoning and understanding of the fraction algorithm for addition and subtraction using a visual area model. The common core goes beyond learning a simple rule to add/subtract. Instead students must reason and be flexible in their thinking and solutions.
My state math book does not include the visual models as prescribed by the common core. So I have created task cards to allow students to work with partners to develop reasoning skills.
This product includes:
• Teacher instructions and Lesson sample to introduce task cards.
• 24 addition task cards some improper fraction sums to regroup. Tasks 1 and 2 show the common denominator modeled for differentiation while #16- 24 involve mixed numbers and regrouping)
• Answers to Task Cards
• Teacher Lesson Sample to introduce subtraction task cards.
• 24 subtraction task cards (#16-24 involve mixed numbers and regrouping)
• Answer Recording Sheet for students with guided questions
• Assessment with written response items included for students to explain their thinking.
You will have enough to use for at least 2 days of instruction. Be sure to allow students time to discuss answers and develop a generalization or procedure for adding/subtracting fractions with uncommon denominators. Their deep understanding with these problems will pay off with other denominators, word problems or scenarios later.
Clip art from http://www.mycutegraphics.com. Area models created using Microsoft word.
Print task cards in color and on card stock. Purposely designed to allow easy transition to multiplication area model.