The problems and activities within this document are designed to assist students in achieving the following standards: G.GPE.2 as well as the standards for mathematics practice and the literacy standards. They are also designed to help the teacher assess the students’ abilities when it comes to working with the ideas within the standards.
This document contains the following:
- 11 practice problems related to writing the equation of the directrix of a parabola given the focus or identifying the focal point given the directrix
- a guided example for writing the equation for a parabola, followed by 6 problems, 2 of which involve graphing the parabola
- a guided example of determining the focal point and directrix of a parabola given its equation, followed by 6 practice problems
- an exit slip encompassing the ideas of parabolic equations
- a homework assignment related to parabolic equations, some problems of which are similar to the practice problems, and some problems of which require higher level thinking & evaluation of ideas
- 5 possible assessment problems (2 are multi-part, one requires students to select of reasonable or unreasonable statements, and 2 require explanations of ideas relating to a parabolic situation)
*Of course, you can rearrange the problems in this document for use as class work, homework, quizzes, tests, etc. as you wish!
About my Products:
While the PARCC assesses many of the mathematical practice standards, I aim to create many problems and activities that require students to apply the skills outlined in the performance level descriptors. I believe that the more students are exposed to such types of work, the more likely they are to develop a conceptual understanding of the concepts & of their own learning, succeed on the PARCC, and hence the more likely they are to be prepared for success in college and/or their future careers. If you happen to have any questions or concerns regarding anything your purchase (or download for free), please do not hesitate to contact me! Have a wonderful school year! :)