20 open ended graphic organizers students can use to practice comprehension skills, identify story elements, infer word meanings, make connections, and more... all based on the Common Core State Standards for Reading Literature and Informational Texts. They would work well with almost any book though some lend themselves to fiction and others to informational texts.
Use them during a whole class lesson, guided reading, for homework, or during literacy centers.
- comparing characters in different texts
- identifying story elements (characters and setting, problem and solution)
- sequencing story events
- inferring meaning of new/unknown words
- answering wh- questions
- identifying the main idea and details
- inferring meaning from illustrations
- making connections among ideas in a text
- identifying and describing the author's purpose
- responding to a text at a listening station/center