Bethany Hamilton (Soul Surfer) Scrambled Egg Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Activity
This reading, questions, and tasks focus on Bethany Hamilton, the surfer attacked by a shark and subject of the book and movie Soul Surfer. Many students are familiar with her inspirational story and enjoy the collaborative, engaging passage, questions, and tasks about high-interest subject.
Brief Description of Activity:
This scrambled egg reading comprehension and critical thinking activity gives students the opportunity to read a high-quality, high-interest text and demonstrate knowledge and skill through collaboration and differentiated learning. This task requires students to read an informational text/article and answer questions or complete tasks that can be cut into strips and placed in numbered plastic eggs. By working collaboratively, students are able to engage in a wide range of critical thinking skills in a competitive environment and demonstrate reading knowledge. For those not familiar with the specifics of a scrambled egg activity, a link to a brief video tutorial is included. Although designed to be used as a collaborative activity, the questions and tasks could be used as an individual activity/worksheet. This activity is flexible and adaptable to the needs of the teacher.
Common Core Alignment:
This activity supports the common core reading standards for informational texts (CCRI1, CCRI2, & CCRI3) for grades six through eight, and can be adapted to be used in almost any classroom.
• A link to viewable and printable copies of high-quality, high-interest informational text and/or literature.
• Twenty post-reading tasks and/or questions based on the original and revised Blooms taxonomy.
• Answer key to the post-reading tasks and/or questions.
• PDF version of each document/file.
• A link to a how-to, hands-on video tutorial describing the creation, use, and implementation of the scrambled egg activity.
Time needed for activity:
• 5-10 minutes preparation
• 50 -70 minutes to complete activity (including reading time)
Please leave feedback and let me know how the activity works for you. I will continue to add topical and relevant informational texts, questions, and tasks, so if you find this activity engaging and successful, please check out my other offerings.