This product introduces the concept of volume. Units used to measure length and area are reviewed before cubic units are taught.
This product contains:
1. Interactive notes which require the student to be engaged as they are learning the meaning of volume and how to measure volume.
2. Included is a group activity in which the students use cubes (wooden or foam blocks) to build rectangular prisms with a certain number of cubes. They will record the dimensions and volumes on a handout that is provided. They will discover that multiplying the dimensions gives the volume. A class discussion will follow to compare different ways the prism may be built with a certain number of cubes.
3. A second group activity involves the 10 by 10 flats found in Base 10 blocks. Groups will build prisms of different heights and find the volume. This activity has students discover the formula V = Bxh.
4. This resource contains 10 problems which require students to apply the formulas for volume of a rectangular prism in mathematical and real world problems.
5. Teacher notes and detailed answer keys are included.
For additional 5th grade resouces click on a title below.
Common Core Math 5th Grade Geometry Activities (5.G.1,2) Coordinate Plane
Common Core Math 5th Grade Geometry Activities 5.G.3,4 with I Have Who Has Game
5th Grade Math - Fractions, Whole Numbers and Decimals, Volume
Math Board Games Bundle 5th Grade (5.OA, 5.NBT, 5.NF, 5.MD, 5.G)
Follow me to be notified when new resources are added!
Created by Hilda Ratliff