Implement the Common Core Math Standards for Mathematical Practice with these student-friendly anchor charts! They have both simplified, kid-friendly language as well as the official language from Common Core, to encourage teachers and students to be aligned with the authentic messages that Common Core intended!
Here's how you can use these in your classroom:
1. Introduce the SMP's one at a time at the beginning of the year so that students will have a concrete understanding of each one.
2. Print and laminate for durability, and then display them on a bulletin board or on a pretty ribbon!
3. Print several pages to a page to minimize the size and turn these posters into student-sized handouts! This is great for interactive student notebooks, class discussions, parent resources, etc..
4. Print out the anchor charts and make a class book to reinforce each SMP! Have students write or model examples of each SMP to display their new understandings as world class mathematicians.
5. Encourage your students to use the language on the anchor charts to share their thinking during math discussions.
5. Refer to the SMP posters during principal evaluations or teacher observations!
6. Most importantly, be sure to increase your usage of these important standards by incorporating them into your every day language and activities!