Why Use the Singapore Math Bar Model to Solve Word Problems?
This Common Core Aligned method:
* Helps students create a concrete, visual representation to simplify even the most complicated pre-algebraic word problem
* Provides students with a strategy to represent proportion and numerical relationships between elements in the problem
* Encourages students to slow down and tackle word problems methodically and logically, rather than impulsively
By using a model that allows students to see the number relationship between the variables in the problem, students are armed with a strategy they can apply to much bigger, more complicated problems. The rectangles can easily be drawn, divided, and segmented, to represent small and large numbers and show proportional relationships between variables in a problem.
This Student Activity Book contains 26 multiplication and division word problems of varying complexities. Students are introduced to the bar model method and are led through three different multiplication and division problems following each step of the Bar Model method.
They then are given the opportunity to try the method themselves and scaffolding is provided for the first 6 problems. On the first two pages (4 problems), the bar model is essentially created for them, and the answer statements are written. All they have to do is fill in the numerical variables. The next page (2 problems), the bars are created, allowing students to fill in the remainder of the elements of the problem.
For the remainder of the packet (20 problems) students independently follow the sequential steps of the Bar Model method, solving multiplication and division problems. A detailed answer key is included as well.
Help your students really think critically about the numerical relationships in word problems, and given them a strategy they can use to tackle even the most complicated of problems!
Be sure to check out my other great Singapore Math products in my store!
* Addition & Subtraction Bar Model Student Activity Book: Intro for 3rd-5th Grade
* Singapore Math: A SmartBoard Intro to the Bar Model - 3rd - 5th Grade
* Singapore Math: A SmartBoard Intro to Multiplication Arrays - 3rd & 4th Grade