As teachers, we all know that having students read books in partners or small groups raises their level of accountability and offers necessary opportunities for collaboration and discussion. This 18 page book packet, which can be used with any novel, ensures that students are engaging in higher order thinking, discussions and pushing their understanding of what they are reading. The structure/routine of the packet is designed to be taught to the students the first time they use it and then subsequently they will always know what to do.
• Can be copied in any order and can be used with any book
• Includes pages for teacher model and examples
• Offers opportunities for discussion
• Focuses on doing a close reading of a text
• Uses generic text dependent questions that can be used with any novel
• Targets plot/character development/determining importance/theme /lesson learned and synthesizing thinking by writing a literary essay
• Addresses Common Core demands
My kids love reading in partners during Independent Reading and this packet lets me know they are doing meaningful work!
Can be used in grades 3-5.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/.