Common Core Standards, Screeners, & Progress Monitoring to Align IEP Goals: SLPs
All the tools you need to align your IEP goals with common core standards! This HUGE (441 pages), comprehensive product will help you confidently know the standards that apply to speech and language therapy, identify your students’ strengths and needs, with basic materials needed to target each one, plus monitor progress on specific goals!
SLPs (and other professionals!) received guidance about the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in a friendly, easy to understand way! This packet covers CCSS from kindergarten to grade 5. The major sections of the packet are as follows:
- General Pages: Contains ”How To” pages, CCSS handouts, CCSS checklists by grade level, CCSS lists by grade level, Blank data tracking sheets, and ”Look What I Can Do” booklets for your kiddos! The handouts included are as follows: Aligning Speech-Language Goals with the CCSS, Common Core and the SLP: FAQs, Online Common Core Resource Websites, and How to Read a Common Core Standard.
- Common Core Screeners by Grade Level: There are three pages included for each grade level, kindergarten through 5th grade. The first page is a one-page screener tied to the CCSS. The second page provides the CCSS for each question on the screener. The third page ties each question to the section of the binder that targets that skills (e.g.: grammar, vocabulary, language, etc...)
- Vocabulary Pages: The vocabulary pages are the first 'content section'. In each 'content section' are "I Can" posters in various sizes, anchor charts per standard, assessment pages for each targeted CCSS, organizational sheets by specific topic, and other helpful handouts! The specific skills targeted in the vocabulary sections are multiple meaning words, affixes and root words, context clues, categories & attributes, antonyms & synonyms, and figurative language.
- Grammar Pages: See the description above for what is included in the content section. The specific skills targeted in the grammar section are nouns, verbs, prepositions, pronouns, adjectives, and conjunctions.
- Language Pages: The topics covered in the language pages are producing sentences, asking & answering questions, main idea, story retelling/summarizing, and describing.
- Phonological Awareness Pages: The phonological awareness pages are the last mega content section. The topics covered in the language pages are letter/sound identification, rhyming, syllables, phoneme isolation, and phoneme substitution.
- Pragmatics Pages: The pragmatics section outlines CCSS that can be cited for use with pragmatics objectives. Additionally, "I Can" posters are provided. Organizational sheets are included.
- Articulation, Voice, & Fluency Pages: The articulation, voice, & fluency section outlines CCSS that can be cited for use with pragmatics objectives. Additionally, "I Can" posters are provided. Organizational sheets are included with blanks for specific speech sounds.
- Other: The other pages include customizable "I Can" posters and organizational sheets.
Almost every page in the packet has a page number so you can easy find it again and know which part of the packet it is from! CCSS are very easily labeled on the assessments and "I Can" posters.
Below are brief descriptions of the types of pages included, and their purpose:
- Organizational Sheets: These sheets are organized by topic (e.g.: main idea, letter/sound identification, multiple meaning words) and include relevant CCSS at the bottom. They are used to keep track of all of your wonderful materials that target these specific skills. These sheets will make it easy to tie the materials you already own to the CCSS.
- Assessment Sheets: For the Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, and Grammar Pages, assessment sheets for each CCSS targeted are provided. Most times, I have included one that is filled in with stimuli AND a blank one. There are 8 sections on each (8 dates, 8 scores) that can be spread out throughout the school year to track progress on specific CCSS.
For most of the Language Page standards, I have provided a rubric to score your kiddos on instead. These sheets track your students over time in the same way but over 9 dates instead.
- "I Can" Posters: These posters are included in various sizes. You can use the larger size to hang in your speech room to remind your kiddos what they are working towards. The smaller ones can be used in the included "Look What I Can Do" booklets. These booklets are great for 'collecting' "I Can" posters that your students have mastered. They would be perfect to send home at the end of the year to share with their families what they have mastered in speech that year!
- Anchor Charts: An anchor chart is provided for nearly every standard included in the packet. These anchor charts are meant to be highly child friendly. They put the standards in simple terms, provided a visual (which is the same visual as on the "I Can" posters) and sometimes offer practice problems as well.
Here's some reasons why other SLPs have loved this resource:
♥ ”This is amazing for helping with goal writing for SLPs. It helps me make sure I'm aligning my goals with the CCSS. Thanks!” - Cassie F.
♥ ”This resource is one of my all-time favorite purchases on TPT! It has everything: pages that explicitly teach skills, visuals to remind students what we're working on, and tools for progress monitoring.” - Holly the SLP
♥ ”This resource has been a lifesaver during my first couple of years working as an SLP in the schools. As a CF, I had no idea where to begin with goals! I love that this resource includes goal ideas and aligns them with curriculum standards at each grade level. These are my go to language screeners as well! I appreciate all the time put in to creating this resource!” - Taylor L.
For more information and how and why common core is important to SLPs, check out a blog post about this item here.
If you're looking for other (similar) activities, you might also like:
- Preschool Assessment and Data - Screener, Progress Monitoring & Checklist Binder
- Speech Therapy Visuals for Language Skills and Strategies
Feel free to email the Speechy Musings team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
☟ Let's stay in touch! Sign up for my email newsletter and follow me on social media to hear about freebies, new product releases, and helpful ideas for your therapy room! ☟
Copyright © Speechy Musings
The Common Core Standards were written and developed by The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.