This unit is an excellent way to introduce or review the difference between common and proper nouns. It will help students remember the difference and remember to start proper nouns with a capital letter in their own writing. This unit includes full color and black and white versions of the following:
- a page to introduce the different types of nouns
- 2 sheets where students are given a common noun and will write a corresponding proper noun.
- 2 written sorts
- 1 sheet for students to record common and proper nouns they find while reading
- 1 page to color sort nouns
- 1 page for students to fill in common and proper nouns they find in their books and then trade with a friend to color sort the types of nouns
- 2 sheets where students circle to show if a noun is common or proper
- 2 paragraphs where students will find and circle proper nouns
- 2 paragraphs where students must find identify common nouns that start with a capital letter but shouldn't as well as proper nouns that don't start with a capital
- 2 pages where students write sentences of their own including a proper noun in response to a prompt.