…This common core rich, activity starts as a group collaboration, discussion, and quick presentation and ends with a student analyzing the factors that create his or her own unique culture. Students analyze and then synthesize the aspects that truly make up their culture....beyond just ethnicity. Student fills out a chart and reflects on individual aspects of his or her life. Then creates symbols to represent those ideas. Finally students create vivid and exciting cultural flags that will represent their findings and also make your classroom look culturally rich.
The goal is to look beyond a students’ ethnicity and see what truly makes up our culture. The final activity is to make a cultural collage flag to hang across your classroom. I love my flags (inspired by Himalayan prayer flags) and truly create a nice atmosphere for learning for the entire year.
A note on common core:
A common core classroom is one that prepares students for higher level thinking as well as preparing students to be effective speakers and engaged listeners. In this activity s students will:
• be introduced to the idea of critical analysis by looking at their own lives. They will evaluate their family practices and then determine what their true culture is using evidence from their own lives.
• Participate in collaborative conversations (part I) with diverse partners and demonstrate their understanding and findings in an oral presentation (Which they will have researched, planned, and delivered.)
• Engage in class discussions.
• Utilize analysis skills in determining their unique culture by reflecting on personal ideas, activities, and events.
• Write simple narratives that help them create their own point of view on culture.
• Further develop their application skills by creating symbols and pictures to represent written ideas.