COMMUNISM MANIPULATIVES POST- ASSESSMENT
1. Communism & Capitalism cut out pieces (attached)
2. Letter sized envelopes (you provide)
3. Communism v. Capitalism Chart (attached)
4. Communism Worksheet (attached)
These two activities are meant as a closing informal assessment of student knowledge of the tenants of communism and capitalism. This activity was performed with 10th grade Honors students in a World History II course.
1. Make copies of the sheet with the cut out pieces so you can make a set for each group in your class.
2. Cut the pieces off the sheet so that you have oval pieces and rectangle pieces. Put the pieces in an envelope.
3. Pass out 1 envelope filled with the pieces to each group. Pass out the capitalism v. communism chart to each student.
4. Each group will empty their pieces on the table and will work to match their pieces with the correct economic system.
5. When students believe they have lined up all the communism pieces with the COMMUNISM piece and the capitalism pieces with the CAPITALISM piece, students will call the teacher to check their work. (HINT: Students might realize that all the capitalism pieces are oval and all the communism pieces are rectangular. This is intentional and serves as a self check for students).
6. Once students have confirmed their answers, they are to write the information from each piece in the chart under the correct heading.
This activity should take 10-15 minutes and should be done at the end of instruction of communism as an economic system.
BONUS: The final page includes a worksheet I created. It is a flowchart of the basic ideas of Communism including the Communist Manifesto, its authors, and main ideas. I have used this as another informal post assessment.
Please let me know how you like this item. I hope you find it helpful.