The purpose of the Communities Investigation Station is to integrate social studies and literacy with STEM principles. Through using this resource students will extend their understanding of communities while exploring and constructing community buildings. While I use this resource within my literacy stations it does not have to be. It could be used as morning work, for early finishers or in other manners.
Below details the structure:
“Read It”: Differentiated text cards about the topic
“Do It”: Task cards related to the topic
“Sketch It”: Illustration requirement related to the topic
“Write It”: Writing extension related to the topic
Included materials within the resource:
- Investigation Station Materials Poster (with pictures)
- Student Investigation Station Checklist (2 versions)
- Differentiated Informational “Community” Text Cards (4 versions)
- Task Card (7 options)
- “Sketch It” Recording Sheet (2 versions)
- “Write It” Directions Poster
- “Write It” Task Cards (4 prompts)
All materials for students to complete the station are included. The grade level/ ability level of your students will determine how much time is needed for completion. For the entire station to be completed I estimate approx. 30-40 minutes. (I use this station for 2 weeks and students pick up where they left off during the 2nd week.) If you have any questions please message me.