Social Studies New BC Curriculum
“Just Right” Reading for the Grade 1/Grade 2 classroom
All content competencies included.
May be used as a teacher read and discuss and springboard to each topic.
May be used as reading for the student in the classroom on each topic.
Maybe be used as take home reading each topic.
Combine in one complete volume or 10 booklets in duo tangs.
Attach class list to check off when read.
10 Section Titles
1 People in Communities Help Each Other
2 The Community Park
3 Community Garden
4 Water in Communities
5 We are Different We are the Same
6 Community Events
7 Community Places
8 Community Leaders
9 First Communities
10 Rural and Urban Communities
Each section includes:
- sight word and repeated theme word lists – one page
- sight words include Dolch words and high frequency words used in the section
- theme words are high frequency words related to the theme of the section
- one or two and sometimes 3 pages of a simpler and more highly repetitive
version of the longer version that follows
- pages of just right” reading on topic
- clean look, well spaced, larger font size
- picture on each page
Questions for Discussion
- to be read by parent or teacher
- questions on topic and questions to act as springboards to further discussions
What is more commonly referred to as Tier 3 words are not included on the one page word lists. These words are more unique to the topic and theme of communities and the various sections/topics included. These words are the words that will be more highly used in the discussion of communities and each section’s theme.