Communities Unit for 3rd Grade Social Studies!
Engaging lessons and activities to help students explore and understand communities.
This 3-5 week unit focuses on the basic characteristics of a community including:
* Physical Characteristics of Communities (Landforms, Climate, Natural Resources and Natural Hazards)
* Human Characteristics of Communities (Roads, Homes, Buildings, Transportation, Parks, Bridges, etc.)
* Cultural Characteristics of Communities (Language, Art, Clothing, Traditions, Celebrations)
Students begin by looking closely at their own community and then learn about other communities. They compare communities and features of communities to better understand why they form, how they form, and how they meet the needs of people. They learn about ways that humans adapt in order to thrive in different communities, as well as the ways humans change the land to meet their needs. They also study individuals who influenced how communities form, look, and work.
The Unit Includes:
* instructions for each lesson
* full color images of landforms, climate, natural resources, natural hazards, and different communities
* graphic organizers
* writing with sentence stems
* maps (both Texas and the United States)
* fact sheets on different communities
* fact sheets on Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Boone, Christopher Columbus, and Benjamin Banneker
* a human, physical, and cultural characteristic sort
My favorite part of this unit is when students must create their own community. They are responsible for thinking about the different needs of the people and planning for those needs. After creating a map key and completing their map they end by reflecting on how their choices effected the natural features of the land.
Click Preview to see specifics about the unit and a list of focus standards, as well as sample pages from the unit. The actual unit includes over 40 pages of resources and can easily be adapted to various timelines. Using the fact sheets and writing activities, this unit can also be integrated into your reading and writing work. *Aligned to 3rd Grade Texas Standards (TEKS)
Thanks so much! I hope you found just what you needed!:)
Kady from The Teacher Trap
Don’t forget to CLICK THE STAR by my store name to FOLLOW! You’ll receive only one message a month and I’ll share special offers, new products, and updates!
Popular Social Studies: