This is a set of 36 enrichment, reinforcement, and review task cards for your lessons on "Community Ecology." Students will explore community interactions, and will answer questions about competition, resource partitioning, predation, mimicry, and symbiosis. Students will apply their critical thinking skills to the concepts of mutualism, parasitism, commensalism, and primary and secondary succession. Key vocabulary words are thoroughly covered.
Suitable for life science and biology students in grades 8 -12.
Task cards are a fantastic way to enrich or reinforce lessons, review difficult concepts, or provide extra practice for the struggling student. The student reads each card, performs the task, and records his/her answer on the included student answer sheet.
From the moment of purchase, you will be ready to use your task cards in just a few minutes. Simply print the sheets of task cards on card stock paper, laminate, and cut the cards apart. The cards look best when printed in color, but they can easily be printed in black and white.
Topics covered in this unit test are:
- Community Interactions: Definition of community, types of community interactions such as competition, predation, symbiosis, mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism.
- Competition: Definition of competition, definition of resource, the competitive exclusion principle, character displacement, many examples, resource partitioning, the result of organisms having identical niches.
- Predation: Definition, examples, predator, prey, the role of natural selection, adaptations found in predators, adaptations found in prey, mimicry, adaptations found in plants and herbivores.
- Symbiosis: Definition of symbiosis, types of symbiosis, mutualism, commensalism, parasitism, many examples of each.
- Properties of Communities: Species richness and diversity, definition of species richness, definition of species diversity, the species-area effect, the result of habitat destruction.
- Succession: Disturbances, definition and examples of disturbances, definition of succession, types of succession, primary succession, examples of primary succession, secondary succession, examples of secondary succession, pioneer species, climax communities.
What is included in this product?
• Teacher Guide containing tips, directions and suggestions.
• A set of 36 task cards in editable and pdf formats.
• A student answer sheet for recording answers.
• Blank task cards so that you can add additional questions.
• A complete teacher answer key.
• A teacher answer key PowerPoint that can be used to go over answers with the students.
Related products include:
Introduction to Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Population Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems and the Biosphere Part 1: Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Food Chains and Food Webs Activity
Ecosystems and the Biosphere Part 2: Biomes of the World PowerPoint and Notes
Humans and the Environment PowerPoint and Notes
FREE Set of Six Ecology Crossword Puzzles
Lichens: Informational Text, Critical Reading and Lab Activity
FREE! Backyard Ecology: An Ecological Assessment of Your Back Yard
Lab: Soil Communities
FREE Graphing and Data Analysis Activity on the Symbiotic Relationships of Mycorrhizae
Community Ecology Quiz / Review Worksheet
Community Ecology REVIEW Powerpoint of 50 Questions/Answers
Community Ecology Homework and Study Guide
Community Ecology Unit Test
Predator Prey Informational Text and Graphing Activity
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page